The following article strives to provide an unbiased comparison between the playlists generated from the two programs (from an identical pool of music), and demonstrate some of the key differences between the two.
Right off the bat there are some pretty major differences between the two playlist generators (pg).
1) Smart DJ playlists can be launched from Zune's quickplay menu. There are 5 slots available - Choose your favorite mixes and store them there.
2) Genius created "Genius Mixes" that are premade playlists based on music genre.
3) Smart DJ playlists can be created from any artist or any individual song in your library, Zune doesn't restrict the magic at all!
4) Genius playlists can only be created from individual songs in Itunes.
5) Genius generates recommendations from music that is not in your music collection. This is a very handy feature!
These differences are not overly severe, but are certainly worth mentioning.
Since Genius can only create playlists based on individual songs, to create a fair comparison the playlists from Genius and Smart DJ consist of 25 songs based on the following songs.
1) Mumford & Sons - Little Lion Man:
Summary: Genius used a total of 13 artists while Smart DJ used 20.
2) Pearl Jam - Speed Of Sound:
Summary: Genius used a total of 14 artists while Smart DJ used 14.
3) Fall Out Boy - Disloyal Order Of Water Buffalo:
Summary: Genius used a total of 11 artists while Smart DJ used 15.
Conclusions: It is apparent that Smart DJ uses more artists when creating playlists, as shown in 2 of the 3 trials. Genius also uses the artist that the playlist is based on, 4 times in each playlist. Overall, I feel strongly that Smart DJ is the superior playlist generator, based on wider artist selection and greater artist correlation, but your mileage may vary. Food for thought any way you slice it!
Welcome back "playlist" : )
Feel free to comment below